A fire has damaged buildings and vehicles at a battery recycling facility in Hampshire.
The fire at Loddon Recycling, took 75 firefighters to control with around 300 tonnes of alkaline zinc chloride and other metal oxide batteries burned.
Fire officer Steve Trevethick said: “The fire developed extremely fast with huge intensity, ripping through the building and setting nearby vehicles alight. On arrival crews assisted in the evacuation of employees.”
Propane cylinders and a diesel tank caught fire and exploded aiding its spread.
Early indications suggest that there is nothing suspicious about the blaze, but an investigation into it has begun.
Loddon Recycling collects, transports and sorts batteries before sending them to be processed by the Citron battery recycling facility in France, which is being recommissioned by Sita after going into administration in December 2010.