A group that has been meeting since 2012 to discuss the recovery and recycling of paper cups has been formalised into the Paper Cup Recovery and Recycling Group (PCRRG).
The new organisation will be managed and coordinated by LRS Consultancy and includes members from companies such as Caffè Nero, First Mile, Grundon, James Cropper, Mars Drinks, Mondelēz International and Nestlé Professional.
Originally set up as a specialist interest group, the PCRRG has worked to increase recognition that used paper cups can provide high quality material to the market place and that there is a need to ensure that it is captured effectively for use in the supply chain.
The areas of focus for the PCRRG will be to:
- bring together different aspects of the supply chain to better understand all of the different components and stakeholder views
- develop consistent messaging and to educate the involved parties on material value and recyclability
- identify industry wide, self-funding, and easy to access solutions
- conduct in-market trials where appropriate
- actively manage risks associated with the environmental impacts and legislation of paper cups.
LRS Consultancy managing director Dee Moloney said: “We are really excited to be involved in the Paper Cup Recovery and Recycling Group. We would encourage more organisations to take advantage of the opportunity to help design and implement sustainability solutions that support the development of a circular economy.”
Paper cup manufacturer and recycler James Cropper group innovation manager Matthew Miller added: “As the developer and operator of the UK’s first dedicated cup recycling facility, we have long been aware of the need for an industry-wide approach to solving the problem of post-consumer cup recovery and reuse. The group represents a strong commitment from all parts of the supply chain to make this a reality.”
The full founding members of the group are:
- Benders Paper Cups
- Caffè Nero
- First Mile
- Grundon Waste Management
- James Cropper PLC
- Mars Drinks
- Maxabel International
- Mondelēz International
- Nestlé Professional
- Seda Group
- Selecta UK
- Solo Cup Europe