The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), the home of tennis tournament Wimbledon, has announced that it will eliminate the use of plastic straws for use at The Championships.
AELTC has said that it is dedicated to taking sustainable actions where possible, and will continue to make these changes, especially at major events.
Actions that will be implemented for this year’s matches include:
- No plastic straws in use at The Championships
- Jaguar, the official car of The Championships, to introduce 10 electric vehicles into the courtesy car fleet for the first time
- 87 free water refill points to be made available for the public, as well as 21 water fountains.
- Monitoring and fine-tuning waste streams. In 2017, only 1.4% of Championships waste went to landfill
- Supplying a paper bag option at The Wimbledon Shops.