Sainsbury’s opens second triple zero resource efficient store in Leicester


Supermarket Sainsbury’s is set to open its second triple zero shop in Leicester.

Opening on 27 November, the store is Sainsbury’s most environmentally friendly unit to date and has triple zero features.


This means it has zero carbon emissions from all operational energy used, zero waste goes to landfill and the store has zero impact on the water usage of the local catchment area because of its water neutral status.

It follows the recent opening of the first triple zero store in Weymouth.

Sainsbury’s property director Neil Sachdev said: “We aim to be the UK’s greenest grocer and achieve our 20×20 target to reduce our operational carbon emissions by 30 per cent absolute. To do this, we’re now building and running highly sustainable, low carbon stores.

“Our new triple zero stores in Leicester and Weymouth Gateway are examples of how we’re achieving this, by using power generated from waste in our supply chain and water neutral, which includes offsetting partnerships in the local community.”

All of the store’s electricity and heating will be provided by an on-site combined heat and power system using natural gas. The equivalent amount of zero carbon biogas that is required for the store each year, will be imported into the grid from one of Sainsbury’s Dairy Development Group farmer’s anaerobic digestion facilities in West Sussex.

Like all Sainsbury’s stores, no waste will be sent to landfill with all food donated to local charities or made into animal feed, or finally used in anaerobic digestion. All general waste is recycled or turned into a fuel.

Around 70 per cent of the operational water use will come from rainwater capture and other water efficient initiatives, while the remaining 30 per cent that is required for human consumption will be offset with water conservation projects in the local community.

Each store also contains a comprehensive recycling centre for packaging, as well as donating clothing and other items to Oxfam.

In construction, 100 per cent of the materials were recycled.

Power for the store also comes from 1,200 photovoltaic solar panels on the roof, while energy efficient LED lighting and natural CO2 refrigeration reduces the carbon footprint.