KP Snacks has partnered with TerraCycle to launch a nationwide recycling scheme for nuts, popcorn, crisps and pretzel packets.
The scheme will give people the opportunity to set up collection points around the UK, and is free to use.
All brands of crisps, nuts, popcorn and pretzel packaging will be accepted, with the recycled material being turned into new plastic items such as outdoor furniture.
TerraCycle general manager Europe Laure Cucuron will be speaking at The Recycling Event on 2 July. Buy your ticket now for just £85+vat. Info:https://www.therecyclingevent.com/
How the scheme works:
- Visit www.terracycle.co.uk/kpsnacks to sign up to the KP Snacks Nuts, Popcorn, Crisps and Pretzels Packet Recycling Programme and register your collection point
- After registered, KP Snacks will send you a collection bin
- Collect any empty nut, popcorn, crisp or pretzels packets and put them in the collection bin
- When ready to send the collected packaging, the collection point administrator can download a free shipping label from the teracycle website
- The packets can then be sent to TerraCycle who will clean and shred them, ready to be made into other items, including plastic pellets, waste bins and outdoor furniture.
People are encouraged to collect as many packs as they can in one go and then send them in larger batches. t
To incentivise these larger shipments, the scheme offers charity points for shipments over 2kg in weight (approx. 600 packets).
KP Snacks chief executive Mark Thorpe said: I’m delighted to launch this new recycling scheme with TerraCycle, which for the first time will allow not only crisp packets, but also nuts, popcorn and pretzels packets to be recycled. This initiative is just one part of our pacKPromise; a three-stage plan to reduce our packaging impact.
“Phase One of KP’s pacKPromise is to use less packaging. We have invested significantly in our Hula Hoops factory and are now using 23% less packaging in our Hula Hoops multipacks. Phase Two is to provide a short-term recycling solution, which we are doing with the launch of this new programme with TerraCycle. Phase Three is for our plastic packaging to be fully recyclable by 2025 as part of our membership of the UK Plastics Pact.”
TerraCycle Europe general manager Laure Cucuron said: “TerraCycle is delighted to be working with KP Snacks to launch a solution to recycle nuts, popcorn and pretzel packs of any brand for the first time in the UK. Simply find the nearest public access drop off location using the interactive map on the TerraCycle website and drop off any empty packs for recycling.”